Sunday 30 March 2014

Dreams and Shadows

Hello world!
I am sorry about the delayed posting.
I will put it in brief, but I haven't been feeling the greatest. (This is as brief as I am willing to take).

I finished this book in over a week ago and I was meant to post it online for you to see what I thought about the book.
Dreams and Shadows (a dark place to be...) by C.Robert Cargill.
A book with such an intriguing front cover that you just have to pick it up in the book shop. You question it more when you read the synopsis, you become more interested to actually find out what the story has to behold.

I actually brought this book on impulse. I'm one of those people that likes to spend hours in Waterstones on any free time to kill. I avoid it more now, as my last post came to say, I need to start saving my pennies.
So this book that I brought on impulse has actually become a great saviour to me.
I have been needing sometime to escape. I remember writing a post on how I like to escape from reality into a good book. Dreams and Shadows did exactly what I needed. Through the over description of the surroundings in the world of the book and over use of simile. I was able to create the world to dive into.


That was the thing about the book. It was over used in the description area. Once I had finished reading the author describing my surroundings I did sort of went, "Well, I am here now. I am in the world. What's going to happen now?"
It took me awhile to find the story and once I was able to look past the world that Cargill created, I jumped straight into the story and I knew I couldn't get back out.

Two characters, Ewan (Yes, named after the actor) and Colby. Ewan taken away from his parents and was swapped with a changeling, taken away to the Limestone Kingdom filled with faeries and other mystical creatures and had plans to grow up, to become one of them.
Colby a typical little boy, with a great imagination. Loved to play in the forest and create his own little fantasies of fighting kings and pirates and becoming a hero the games. Meets a djinn or a genie. The cursed djinn grants his wish of being able to see everything and saves Ewan from the plans of the faery court.
The story continues and more characters are introduced. Colby becomes some form of heroic but not quite how he would have liked to come. Sometimes, when you believe in justice so much, sacrifices has to be made.

I will tell you to read this book. After the first 100 pages you will be taken away and filled with a feeling of magic. A modern American take on magic nonetheless. You might be disappointed, you might me blown away. You will definitely be able to escape into a world that is far from reality.
If you have read this book, let me know what you thought about this book, I would love to hear your reviews also.

No comments:

Post a Comment