Wednesday 30 April 2014

BOOK REVIEW! Fangirl!

Hello readers of the world!
I have another book review for you tonight. I have managed to finish a book. For some reason, I seem to be having a break from reading. Or I am reading books that are not really holding my interest. I really should just read books as I buy them. As that is when I have the most interest in the book.

That is what I did with this book. As soon as I brought it, I actually discarded reading Lolita, so I could read a teen romance fiction!
I am disappointed by this as well as many of you readers should be. I am not really, as I am glad I read the book as soon as I brought it, because I wouldn't be interested in it any other time.
I saw this book from some of the friends on Goodreads.com. Quite a few of them had either read this book or wanted to read this book. Also lets just face it, the title just screamed at me. "Claire, this is the book for you!"
The book; Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

So, a book about twin girls starting college in America. Cath and Wren, both fan girls of a series of novels called Simon Snow. Just think, Harry Potter and you will get it. In fact, just think of Simon Snow as Harry Potter. Like some teenage girls, going into women-hood of these modern times, writing fanfiction is just another way to continue the story they have loved. That is what Cath and Wren did. Also like most fanfiction, the twin girls made a pairing with the characters; Simon Snow and Baz. Manipulating the characters to create stories from their own imagination.
Starting college can be a daunting thing and for the twin girls it is. Wren tries to be the social butterfly, stopping her writing with her sister and spend a lot of time drinking and partying. Whereas Cath, who is not very sociable stayed in to continue her fanfiction writing. Lets cue a sarcastic roommate, who has a hot friend Levi. Cath now has a boyfriend. Also cue some family drama and college work drama and you have the typical teen romance novel!
Now let me tell you, it was as stereotyped as I have made it sound.
That did not stop me from being really jealous of Cath and Levi. Levi, was the perfect fictional boyfriend that anyone could ask for. Just like how Harry was the perfect hero, but still an idiot. He did everything in his power to make Cath happy, long drive back home to visit her dad in hospital to emergency dance off in the dorm room. He wanted Cath to read her fanfiction to him because he knew it helped her relaxed. He never pressured her for sex, because he knew she was a very nervous being. I honestly got so jealous of their relationship, that I was glad the book ended!
It also made me feel happy. Remembering your first love, how it felt, how he/she made you feel. The first initial attraction and the first kiss. It really did make me miss that feeling.
I do get extremely emotionally involved with books and their characters, this book was just a prime example! I am pretty sure I even shred a tear when Cath decided to lose her virginity to him... Oh oops, spoiler alert!

Ok, it's a book for teenagers. I would recommend it to my sixteen year old cousin. So it was age appropriate!

No comments:

Post a Comment